Why does trying to access Hotmail now lead me to paid services?

Christine Georgas October 12, 2012

I haven’t been able to access Hotmail for two days. When I try to login from a prompt on Google, which is how I usually do it, I receive Microsoft pop-up Windows that lead me to services that charge money for access or a secondary site that has nothing to do with Hotmail. I don’t understand why this would happen.

What if you just enter hotmail.com in browser address window? You could also clear your history and cache

2. Anita Wills

After 15 years of using hotmail, my account was hacked. Microsoft has denied me access to the account, but the hacker has free rein. They are sending my contacts messages and have information that allows them access to my paypal account. Microsoft wants me to pay $300 to have my account restored. I am suspicious of this because the only email account that was hacked is hotmail. When my Google Account or Yahoo Account were hacked they assisted me in gaining access for no charge. Microsoft has an 800 number for a call center in India, where the request for payment comes from. I believe my account was hacked by Microsoft and this is a ploy to get money from me and others. I have communicated with others who are also being extorted after their accounts were, "hacked." This is indeed a lesson learned!

It's a another site which is trying to steal money from you.Quickly stop any online activity and if you've any commercial antivirus like Avast Internet security or Kaspersky,then scan your PC fully for any possible infection.If you don't have it then atleast scan your PC fully with Anti-Malware bytes software.If it still doesn't solves it,then fully reinstall your OS.

5. Yudono Ra

have you tried scanning your PC?
    probably a url re-direct malware

6. Gordon Scott

whoops your on a mac?

7. Gordon Scott

Sounds like an infection/hijack to me.
    Download Malwarebytes and a good Antivirus
    Never use Internet Explorer as a web browser, preferring Chrome over Firefox.