Why can’t I access Google’s home page?
Question by dainelle hennessy /

I am having trouble with the Google home page (receiving a 404 not found error). I can’t download Google Chrome either. Why is this happening?

• Alan

i dont understand im trying to download google chrome. iv installed it to my laptop and it is asking me for a google email address and password iv type both in correctly and its not allowing me to use it, iv reset laptop still diddnt work. i deleted it off my desktop and re instaled it and still not letting me.

i have a virous on my laptop and it said download google crome to removed virous. i dont no for defo but it could be the virous not letting me do it.
    it would be great if you could get back to me and help with with it?
    many thanks

• Laurey

I was told by Time Warner that the IP address when I pinged google was from Romania.  They have hijacked my internet.  Is this possible ?  Or is it because they didn’t know what else to tell me.  We tried a different DNS server IP address with an alternate DNS 8 8 8 8  Still can’t access.  They suggested I wipe out everything and start over, what do you suggest ???

• David Macauley

I fixed this on a friend’s computer by resetting IE to the “factory” settings…

Tools -> Internet Options -> advanced tab -> click the “reset” button.

An easier fix?  Install Chrome, Firefox, or Palemoon browser :)

It may be a temporary problem, which browser do you use ?

Check if you can visit google from a proxy like hidemyass.com.

check also the google search option elsewhere, like on makeuseof.com. or the search toolbar of firefox.

as Jeff said, clean cookies and cache and restart.

well, you can download google chrome.
    from these links:

• Mo

I agree. I had the same problem and I fixed it by simply resetting my router. It magically worked!

are you useing google chrome to have 
    Google home page or trying with IE?
    GOOGLE-nginx-404 error

• Jeff Fabish

Firstly, clear your browsers cache & restart your computer. It’s possible your computer is loading a cached version of Google which was corrupted. Once your computer is booted up & your cache is cleared, open your browser and try these URLs.

1.) http://www.google.com/

If the IP Address URL works, but the resolved domain name doesn’t, you have a problem with your DNS server, which I will help you troubleshoot if that is the case.

If not, go to start -> run/search and type “cmd.exe” without quotes. When the command prompt appears, enter the command “ping google.com”, what are the results of that command?

– Jeff

• Lhilua

ip adress works but not domain name for me how do i fix?

• Jeff Fabish

Your DNS server is probably down or corrupted. Firstly, go to Start -> Search/Run and type “cmd.exe”, press enter. When the command prompt appears, type this command:

ipconfig /flushdns

Clear your browser’s cache, restart your browser and try again. If it’s not fixed, proceed to (temporarily?) changing your DNS server.

To change your DNS server (on Windows 7) go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings (top left) -> Right click on the adapter you’re currently using and chose “Properties”. Select TCP/IPv4 and click “Properties”. You’ll be presented with a few options, at the very bottom chose the “Use the following DNS server addresses” radio button. Then use one of the pairs below.

Google DNS
      Preferred DNS Server:
      Alternate DNS Server:

Open DNS
      Preferred DNS Server:
      Alternate DNS Server:

Comodo DNS
      Preferrred DNS Server:
      Alternate DNS Server:

Then press “Ok” and restart your computer.

• Eyemblind

thank u 4 u-r response and help… worked 4 a while! then the same problem just came back. but i am trying every-1 s  suggestions thank u

• wayne

i,ve tried, this it works for a short time then reverts back…….any other ideas…????

• Oron

Sounds like your PC has been hijacked.
      First of all, get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from http://www.malwarebytes.org, install it, run it, update it and scan your PC (this will take some time). This will remove the malware that caused it in the first place.
      Secondly, edit the file called HOSTS which is usually stored in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\, and make sure that all lines start with a # (if any lines do not have a #, add it to the beginning of the line)
      Finally, follow Jeff’s advice above, then reboot your computer and see if the problem is solved.