Why can I not access my files on my Maxtor external hard drive?

d9a37313c3f34edd501c0db89cd96852 August 7, 2012

I saved all my files on a Maxtor external hard drive in order to transfer them all onto my laptop whilst my computer went for cleaning and repair. Now when I plug it in via a USB port, it asks me to format the disk, but then warns me that if I do so, I shall lose all my data. Help!

If this is one of the older Maxtor drives, don't forget you have to change your jumper pins (see the diagram on the face of the drive) from Master to Cable Select Enable.

Hello, looks like the perfect oportunity for you to try a linux live cd. Here is the link:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

-- Download the live cd
    -- burn image to cd
    -- insert disc in tray
    -- restart your computer
    -- make sure to change boot order to start from cd/dvd
    -- once ubuntu live cd is running, connect the external drive
    -- if it is mounted and recognized, you could copy the data to your computer, burn a cd/dvd or copy it to another external drive
    -- once data is backup, shutdown computer and remove live cd.

3. Kaashif Haja

Sometimes i give my hd to my friend, when he returns back, i see that my hd is full, but i can't see my files in it.
    Here's what i usually do when i don't see my files which are present in my pen drive/ external hard disk. I boot using my Ubuntu, i copy my files to my computer. I format it and then i copy back the files onto my pendrive/harddisk.
    Hope it's useful!

4. sid manny

As I used, the Hard Drive Recovery is the efficient tool to recover formatted data and it is well supported for Windows systems. Last time when I accidentally used 'Quick Format' option on external hard drive connected to my PC and I lost a huge amount of data. But thankfully I was able recover files after quick formatting NTFS partitions on Windows by using this wonderful tool. If you want more details then you can visit the official website mentioned below.
    http://www.unformatpartition.com/recover-files-after-quick-formatting-ntfs-partitions-on-windows-computer.html

5. George Monroe
  6. elhaj

try recovering the partition first, "test disk" is one possible solution here's how to do it using Linux http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-data-recovery.html
    skip to the "Recover lost partition" section
    and "test disk" is available for windows if you like

7. Burhan Ahmed

Your partition table is corrupted. You might have to format it using quick format. Then use a file recovery software to recover your files from formatted Drive

8. Christopher Harlan

The Drive may also be corrupt - External drives tend to do so, and trust me... its a huge pain! You can download the free tool from Easeaus and do a recovery if you want, or you can go the path and lose everything.

plug the exterbal hard drive then go to device manager and look for your Maxtor external hard , right click on it and choose uninstall then reboot and let windows to reinstall a new driver, see if this will help.