Why can’t I access files on my external hard drive?

erfan December 6, 2011

I gave my external drive to one my friends. After he gave it back, my antivirus says it found a recycler virus and deleted it. But now I can’t access my folders on my external drive. They’re all shortcuts now. How do I fix it?

1. gsingh

i have given my hard drive to my friend , but when i receive that my laptop there is no folder there my excluding few music files. but on properties memory is still same .can any one help me to get my folder back.

2. D

A friend brought me a seagate harddrive
    He has a PC and I have a Mac
    He has stored some files on there for me which i works prefect on my Mac the only thing is I can't store anything on this portable drive
    What can i do ???

use Microsoft’s FAT32 format, which both Macs and PCs handle well. If your drive is formatted in Microsoft’s newer NTFS format, your Mac should be able to read it, but writing to it may be a problem. You can reformat the drive with OS X’s Disk Utility after you finish transferring your data.

formating hard drive delete everything so do a backup first.

• Oron

See Mike's answer at the top of the discusing on http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/external-hard-drive-readonly-mac/#comment-116122

Good luck!

3. Angel Gay

Thanks a lot Vikash!
    I love you bro!

And is there any answer to Erfan's problem?

Anonymous's response doesn't work as we can't see the folders! :(

4. hdd

THANKS A LOT Vikah!You saved my life!I love you bro!

5. Etamasese

ha14 - thanks man - worked perfectly. Had virus win32/Dorkbot. thanks for taking the time!

6. shegzy4

good day here., am having problem with my external hard disk...i save some school document in my drive.,so when i got to the school computer to copy my home task., i copy and paste then i noticed all my folders went missing except so ones that are not in folder...i still have my used memory but can't see my folders.., pls help me...

7. Shegzy4piddy

8. Vikash

Thanks So Much....i was able to view all my files again...

What i did:
    "Go to tools >folder options >view and select to show hidden files and uncheck hide protected operating system files"

Thanks a millions

• Al

Wow it works Vikash, Thanks so much i was having soo much problem with fixing this problem. you have save me from almost losing all my data. Thank you so much again

Hello, first thing I would do would be to make sure to turn off autoplay for USB in your system.  Next thing would be to go to link below and download the USB shortcut fixer.  It should be the entry number 5.  Keep in mind that this utility runs in JAVA....so you need JAVA to be installed. 

http://franciscolopez.webs.com/

Download the file to a place where you can find it easily.  Once file is downloaded, unzip it.  Once folder is unzipped, you will find a text file explaining how to use the utility and also two versions of the utility.  One is for Vista/Windows 7 and the other is for XP.  Open the version that corresponds to your operating system.  If you are having trouble with the utility, just make sure to open the text tile to read and follow instructions about how to use program.

If this does the trick, make sure to scan your system for possible malware to make sure it is clean.

on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.
    if your hard drive as G:
    Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:*.*
    Then check if your real files will be showed

• Erfan

it shows access denied E:$RECYCLE.BINS-1-5-21-1683574528-3398320155-4211159666-1000 what should I do ?

have you tried in safe mode?

try the folowing

1. Go to control Panel, Folder Options -- select VIEW--- select Show hidden
        files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files
        (recommended)  click APPLY
        2. go to your external hard drive  delete the virus and all the shortcut folders that have
        no data in them. create new folders (give the same name as your normal non infected hidden folders) and copy the data from YOUR hidden folders
        into them. once that is done delete the old hidden folders.
        3. enter task manager--- find the virus program that is still running which will
        have the same name as the one you just deleted off the hard drive
        4. go back to control panel, Folder options select view- select DO
        NOT show hidden files and folders and recheck Hide protected operating system
        files (recommended).

• asakusa

Hye ha14, thx a lot, u have saved my life! :D

thats great that fixed your problem, thanks for your feedback.

• Brucefrombp

I love you man!!!! You just saved my life!!! I borrowed an external hard drive from my friend and my anti virus prompted me to delete the file extensions and I unknowingly did so and I couldnt access anything!!! Your advise simply saved me!!! I cant thank you enough!!! God bless you.

• Aswin

Oh.. thnx a lot dude.. this one worked.. :)

Check the used space and free space from the properties.
    so you will get an idea whether your files are still on the hard disk or not.

Go to tools >folder options >view and select to show hidden files and uncheck hide protected operating system files.

check if it displays the lost files.

• Viaksh

Hey Jay,

Thnz man......that really worked out for me......

• loyz

Dear jay,

thanks for the idea... its really help me...