How can I access Facebook in China?

Chenchang September 26, 2011

Facebook.com is blocked in China. How do we go about to access into Facebook while traveling in China?

1. JenniferLynn

There are 5 types of the solutions: 1. Web Based Proxy sites 2. VPN Software 3. OPENVPN Software 4. Free Proxy sites 5. Paid VPN services are reliable and safe solutions to unblock Facebook in China. Solid-VPN company provide VPN Service based on OpenVPN and IPSec, it is fast, reliable, safe and secure. Here is the hompage of the company: http://www.solid-vpn.com

Indeed, like the others say, you need a VPN to connect on Facebook. I use VPNinja but there are many others in the web! I don't recommend you a free VPNs 'cause they aren't reliable ...

3. Jeff

I think ISP's in China block the domain name, so navigating to the IP Address should still work (without vpn/proxy). 

They actually do the full spectrum of DNS/URL filtering, IP blocking even raw packet inspection. That's the reason why anonymous proxies don't work over there ~ even VPN doesn't work in all parts of China.

• Jeff

Oh Jebus! Makes me appreciate America a little bit more ;)

Well for now it's [almost] impossible for the US government to block sites entirely duo to the infrastructure. For example each tier 1 network [provider] has individual nodes to the rest of the world.

AT&T has nodes to London (UK) and Frankfurt (DE) in NY & Washington, San Francisco to Hong Kong

Verizon from NY to London, Frankfurt and Amsterdam, from Washington to Madrid, from LA to Hong Kong 

Level3 & cogent from Washington to Paris, NY to Paris and London, Boston to London, Montreal to amsterdam

* These are just random figures I found on Google, not sure if they are all still accurate.

There are many VPN services out there, pretty much all of them can unblock restricted sites.
    I personally recommend HideMyAss VPN service which also listed on out Best Websites Page, http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-websites#security
    Aibek

If you're only trying to get to a few websites, a vpn is probably overkill. A simple web proxy should do the trick. Read 3 Facebook Proxies & Hacks to Check Facebook From Anywhere for a list of viable proxies.

• Chen

Thank you, Jeff.  very useful to me.

The easiest way would be using a VPN service. Reports from earlier this year however indicate that China has blocked pretty much all PPTP and L2TP services so you should look for some SSL OpenVPN service. One continuously stated as working is vyprvpn but at $19.99 per month this is definitely not the cheapest option.

Another option I heard about is SecuriTales which basically is a WebProxy and doesn't require any installation on your device but I don't have any information whether it's still working out of China (last report was May, 2011)

• Chen

Thanks Mike. I wil try it out.