Can you access an old Facebook chat history account after reinstalling Windows?

BellaHella February 26, 2011

I installed a Facebook chat history account for three months when my laptop crashed and I had to re-install Windows. I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and I immediately installed the Facebook chat app again.

I’m just wondering if there is any way to recover my old chat log. Possibly not but you never know.

Thanks in advance.

1. Jennifermuncy

my husband got caught talking to an ex so he deactivated his account is there anyway i can get his chat messages from this women?

2. Praew_bmw

i am praew

Guys, Facebook now saves the chat history in your account automatically, you don't need to use anything else.

4. Pachisandrade

hi when I try to get the ID user, that long number doesnt show, it only show the user name. How can i GET THAT NUMBER?

5. Nishithaharish

i want to restore old chat option......how can i pls help

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. But if you ask a new question via the respective button in the top left on MakeUseOf Answers, someone else may be able to help you! Unfortunately, it's unlikely that they will see your question here. So better ask a new question.

6. Jyotib394

Hi,

Is there a way I can retirieve or atleast view my deleted messages trails in Facebook.  Someone suggested Javascript ... not sure! Pls help!

7. sashik

I have a question: Please, guys, help me out! What if I chatted with my friends at work, then having come home I want to retrieve the messages.... using that application, can I get them out on a different computer? or it works only on the computer where it was installed?

Sashik,

which tool are you using to store your Facebook chat history? The tools I know store the history locally. This means you cannot access it from another computer, unless the respective folder is located on a server or shared within a network.

For future
    Fchat
    http://www.jadsoftware.com/go/?page_id=909

JAD Software have developed a tool (Internet Evidence Finder) that will recover Facebook Chat history along with other formats,
    http://www.jadsoftware.com/go/?page_id=141

try this
    copy paste the following into your browser bar when on facebook to retreive chat logs from desired person. facebook ID between () is there ID, like (1006754346), to get this go to there pic page its the number on the end of the url or right cick poke and copy linklocation and paste into notepad ull see a long number thats it. javascript:buddyList.itemOnClick(FacebookIDcodeHere);

1)Click onto your friend’s profile page and copy their facebook ID from the address bar; i.e. the number after “id=”,

2)Then while you’re still on facebook, type this into the address bar:

javascript:buddyList.itemOnClick(123132132213);

(with the correct ID of course)

And their chat window will pop up, saying “Jimbo is offline”. And if there’s any chat history, it will be displayed.
    You can even open a chat window to yourself by pasting your own ID into the javascript, as seen to the right. You can use it for little notes to yourself, but remember that facebook chat history is cleared every few days, so don’t rely on it.

Hello, have a read of this article. I am pretty sure your chat history was stored locally. Because you reformatted your computer that chat history is gone. The chat app can only record or save your chat history from the moment you install the app, not before.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/6989/how-to-view-and-save-facebook-chat-history/