How do I access my Facebook chat histories?

Tilman December 2, 2010

As a matter of fact, I stole that question directly from the Facebook Help Center :D But their answer doesn’t work!! :( I follow their steps, but I just can’t find my chat histories anywhere :'(

Their answer is here.
It says: “A history of all your chats is also included as part of your conversations within Facebook Messages along with all your messages, texts and emails.”

But there is nothing!! A couple of days ago I was for sure chatting in Facebook with a friend but that discussion is nowhere in my messages. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!

1. robert butcher

I think I have got to the bottom of this, the FAQ is not outdated - it's the opposite in fact!! The FAQ applies to The new Messages on facebook so it is what you will be able to do when upgraded to the new messages system. You can request an invitation for new messages here http://www.facebook.com/about/messages/

Hey Tilman,

Did you ultimately figure out how to do view the entire chat history on Facebook? Please, let us know if you did.

Aibek

• Tilman

Hi Aibek! Nope, didn't find a way yet. As Tina pointed out above, it seems that Facebook has made a mistake here (in their FAQ). The extension for Chrome mentioned by Simon isn't available anymore (the link is broken), and I haven't found an alternative... Unfortunately, I can't comment anymore in Simon's article because three months have passed.

Merry Christmas! :)

Tilman

thanks for update. i will make sure to post here in case I figure it out.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Tilman,

I don't think you did anything wrong and I can't find anything either. I assume you also searched your Sent folder. The FAQ is probably outdated.

However, you can keep a record of your future chats. Simon recently wrote an article on how to do it: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/save-complete-facebook-chat-history/

4. Tilman

Oh and I forgot to mention that I *am* able to see the last few lines of chat with a person if I start a new chat with the person in question. But it doesn't help me much because it shows only the most recent discussion's end. And Facebook itself says that the chat histories *should* be available somewhere...