How can I access the administrator account on XP if I forgot the password?

ROCKEE June 3, 2010

I am using Widows XP Service Pack 2. I want to know how to enter into the administrator account if it is password protected and I don’t know the password (I forgot it).

1. Kongjie

Method 1: Log on as admin to reset the password. When installing Windows, it automatically creates an account “Administrator” and the default password is blank. If you have previously created a password reset disk, you can use it to reset the password also. for more info.
    Method 2: You can try free software such as Ophcrack,Offline NT Password & Registry Editor,PC Login Now and Kon-Boot. More details here:
    Method 3: Use 3rd party password recovery tool (eg. Windows Password Rescuer and Windows password tools) to reset your windows password. You also can use it to create a New admin user account directly. See help page at

2. pceasies

If you have access to another account you can login and open the Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe)

net user Adminstrator *

Type the new password twice. If you don't have access to another account you'll have to try one of the above methods.

3. fallsoffmotorcycle

To blank out a windows password use . Google that word and download the app. Burn it to cd and boot into it. Follow the prompts and experiment a bit. It works very well.
    Also try , (Google the name). It will let you into Windows past any password. It is a virtual tool working at the kernel level. It does not make any changes to passwords at all.

• Jack Cola

I wrote the first article Aibek mentioned, so if you need some help, just let me know.

5. Steve Campbell

I found multiple ways for you to accomplish this here:

Some of the methods are a little unorthodox but I'm pretty sure you'll find something that works.

• rob

Make an .
      Everyone should have one anyway.