What is an acceptable pause between blog updates?

Ryan August 5, 2010

When you follow certain blogs that you like, what do you usually consider an acceptable length of time between blog updates before you decide to cancel your membership? 1 day, 3 days, a week or more? Does it matter?

I’m trying to determine how often blog updates are needed to at least retain a loyal readership.

I'm pretty consistent about updating my blog every other day, but it seems that no one reads it. I'd sure appreciate any constructive criticism anyone might offer on the content or any other area. http://blog.executiveautogroup.com/

2. pceasies

At least once a week. I think it's important to create a schedule and stick to it. Maybe post updates every Monday or certain day of the week. Makeuseof and Lifehacker tend to publish lots of updates certain days. I have a few web design blogs that only update around 1-2 a week. Doesn't really bother me in a feed reader, everything just piles up and I read through it when I have time.

If I like a blog and there are not many posts, I quite like it because there is less to read which means I have more time to do other things.

After being subscribed to Download Squad and Lifehacker for almost 3-4 years, and never missed a new post, I am thinking of now unsubscribing because there are too many posts and I just can't keep up and its wasting all my time. But then again, almost every day there is at least 1 post that I find useful - so what do you do?

If you don't read you don't know. That's a harder decision i think.

4. Larry

The most important thing is th keep your readers informed. Starting a new blog? Hopefully you are writing about something interesting. If you are following something in particular, how often do interesting things happen? Often enough and updates once a day or every second day may be warranted. Less often and updates once a week or even once a month may be sufficient. Don't set a schedule more frequent than the subject deserves and then fill it with drivel just to keep to your schedule.

Also consider how much time you anticipate that you can devote to this. Do't commit to a schedule that you cannot keep.

Whatever you decide, let your readers know your update schedule and consider giving some of the reasons why you picked that schedule.

If some special event is about to happen that deserves a special edition, let your readers know about this in advance. If something happens in your life that gives you less time for your blog, let your readers know what the new schedule is and provide some reason for the change.

People don't like surprises, as much as we may say otherwise. People are much more tolerant of change if they can see the change coming and know at least some of the reasons for it.

To get back to your exact question, the frequency of updates is not as important as consistency and foreknowledge of change.

5. Jessica Cam W.

For me, updating every other day (or 3 days a week) can pretty much guarantee that I'll remain subscribed. Any more than that (say, when a Twitter user updates every few hours in a day), I'll think it's overwhelming.

I can only speak for myself. If I like a blog, I will stick with it, even if there are almost no updates. As long as there are updates I like, there is no reason to unsubscribe. In fact, if there were no updates, there was even less reason to unsubscribe because nothing would remind me of it! ;)

7. Steve Campbell

Most of the blogs I read update every week day or at least 3 times per week. If a blog is good, I won't unsubscribe until I've noticed that they frequently aren't updating it as often anymore. If a week or two goes by that is usually the first indicator for me, but I'm a pretty loyal reader so I don't pull the plug until I get frustrated with it.