Why does my 8 GB microSD card now only show a size of16 MB?
Question by Alexis Ceroleni /

I need help! I created a Linux image on my memory card to try to boot Linux on my Android. The program I used is called Win32 Disk Imager. It wasn’t successful, but the problem is that my 8 GB microSD card now shows that it only has 16 MB of capacity and it was indeed of 8 GB.

I tried to format it in Windows 7, but I still get a 16 MB SD card.

What can I do?

Thank you!

• That Guy

I had the same issue but now I fixed it, Go get something thats not supposed to be written, like say the http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2032364 cm- somethin somethin and it will isnta wright, than unplug the sd card replug and reformat and all will be well, it was like christmas to get my 32 gb micro sd card back <3

• rohit pandey

type diskmgmt.msc in search option of all programs…
    u will see one screen for diskmanagement .there you can make the unresolved partition…in your usb drive…

• prabakaran

need help! the problem is that my 4 GB microSD card now shows that it only has 36 MB of capacity and it was indeed of 4 GB.
    I tried to format it in Windows 7, it does not format the drive it seems(windows was unable to complete the format).
    What can I do?
    pls reply me soon friends

• Alexis Ceroleni

Thank you very very much, guys. Problem solved!
    I downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard and just like you said: the sdcard had 3 partions! sio I wipe them and re formar and now I have the full 8 gb capacity

• Jhon H. Caicedo

Use some tool to test the partition table on your SD card, probably it was modified by the program used to create the bootable linux image.

Other than that, are you sure that your SD card is 8Gb ? Have you actually filled it (and read back) 8Gb of data ? Many counterfeit cards appear to be 8Gb initially but fail after you wrote some amount of data.

• Erlis Dhima

That could be probably a chip problem! Maybe one of the chips is dead!
    I’ve done a similar question some time ago, and didn’t get an answer!
    My USB couldn’t format, but it’s similar with this problem too! There are some really tips there that could help you:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/format-usb-flash-drive/
    (Try to re-allocate your microSD)

go to run type cmd and launch with administrative rights
    on the black screen type.
    diskpart and hit enter
    list disk
    select disk “x” (x represents the disknumber in the left collum, your sd card)
    clean
    create partition primary (a new primary partition will be created as big as possible and in your case will be 8gb )
    list volume
    select volume “X”
    format fs=fat32

• Alan Wade

Open any disk management tool (there are too many to mention them all) and explore the card. From there you should be able to merge/format/wipe etc and regain your lost space.

• Nikhil Sahani

your microSD card has been re-partitioned you can fix this by re-partitioning your microSD card by using MiniTool Partition Wizard as suggested by Kannon Y (above)

• Billy Tyler

Kannon is suggesting something to similar to what I did when I had the same problem. Unfortunately, I could never find a way to hold onto what I had on the SD card while getting the space back. I did try it on several other computers to no avail but it is always worth a shot, right?

• Kannon Y

Hi Billy,

There’s easily half a dozen methods of doing what you ask for. In my opinion, the easiest is to use Gparted to simply add a second partition. It should be possible because there’s plenty of empty space left on the drive. So basically, you would take the drive with the bootable image on it and then add a secondary partition onto the empty space. Make sure it’s a file system recognizable by Windows like FAT or NTFS.

Alternatively, you can always just extract the information within the IMG (the bootable image) and copy it somewhere. Of course, then it wouldn’t be bootable, but at least you’d have your data.

There are also a variety of multiboot tools that permit selectable booting from IMG and/or ISO files. If I remember correctly, ISOboot was one of the best. Although I’m not sure if it supports IMG files. Hope something in my post was useful. :-)