Why does my 8GB flash drive claim to have only 1GB of space?

Akshay December 13, 2011

I have a 8gb flash drive. I tried burning an image of an OS on it,but it probably didnt happen correctly and windows asked me to format it, now it shows as 1 gb only. How do i correct it?

1. S Anstead

Thank you so much! The HP Reformat tool downloaded in seconds and I had my Lexar fixed literally in less time than it's taken me to type this Comment! (Granted I do type very slowly!) Thanks though Mike.

2. S Rahul Bose

Did face the same issue. Like pceasies said, the extra space does show up in Disk Management.

I recovered the space using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Now, I have got my 8 gb instead of 1 gb.

Try Easus Partition Master
    Fix USB Flash Drive Detection Problems With EaseUs Partition Master
    http://www.techishare.com/tech/easeus-partition-master-fix-usb-flash-drive/

Are you sure it's actually 8gb? Some dodgy places in China sell 8gb ones that are actually only 1gb, but somehow report their size correctly until further investigation… 

Hello, If the suggestions above, don't work for you, you also have the option of visiting the manufacter's site and see if they provide formatting tools for their drives.  Did you try formatting twice?  The first one failed, but if you try again chances are it would work the second time.

6. pceasies

Like mentioned above, you should use Disk Management. When putting operating systems on flash drives they are normally partitioned (divided) into multiple parts.

Open up the start menu and right click on (My) Computer and select "Manage"
    Chose Disk Management in the pane on the left. Scroll down in in the bottom list until you find the device that looks like your flash drive. It probably has 1 GB partition and some other kind of scheme. Just right click each section and chose delete. Confirm any prompts. Once you have everything deleted/turned into one, single unallocated space, you can create a new, single partition to utilize all space.

** If you are unsure which drive is the right one, start with it out, check the list, plug it in, and refresh (F5) to see what changes.

• Avinash Karran

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While you could try to repartition it via Disk Management to regain the full 8GB I suggest to download and use the HP USB Format Tool.

• ganbat

thanks you helped me