How can a 700MB file be compressed to a 5MB .rar file?

xificurC April 9, 2010

OK, I have the latest version of KGB Archiver and I can see the great compression methods it offers. Still, sometimes when you’re surfing through some site you stumble upon an archive of a game that has at least 700MBs (or Windows versions) and was compressed to 5MB.

First of all, even KGB doesn’t seem to compress THAT well (however it does a great job). BUT, using the best method of compression gives you a file ***.kgb . Yes, I’m sure a lot of extractors can handle this extension but still, when you want to save the trouble with some people asking you about the extension, you will need the archive in .zip or .rar . And all the great compressed games or Windows versions I’ve seen really were in these formats.

So my question is, how is it possible?

1. Taty

Hey zificurC
    I posted an answer on that other question too. The best way I know is using a super compressor.
    There have been a few super-compressors being tested around. A few, like Miliki seem to get good results, though I've never seen quite that much success with a compression, but if you want to check it out:
    http://bit.ly/9X4pBE

Did you already see the following question?
    Which software is used to compress a 3 GB file to a 9 MB rar file?

Similar question and several answers. Unfortunately, there's no explanation in case you're really seeing such an efficient compression rate.

Karl may be interested in the file you describe. Maybe he can find out how it was compressed.