Why can’t any of my 6 USB ports can detect my external hard drive?

Osama Javaid September 11, 2012

I am using Windows 7 but the one thing I hate about it is that USB device recognition issue is still not fixed. My external hard drive is not getting detected in any of the port. Sometimes it gets detected and when I am transferring files, it gets undetected in the middle of my work. My hard drive is fine because it is getting detected in my sister’s laptop and working fine on it. What to do?

1. Alex Perkins

Are there any updates for the drivers? Have you tried a different USB port?

2. Ravi

My toshiba external hard disk is detected in my friend pc but not on my pc, all my usb ports are working when connected with small pendrive. plz help me if there is any software needed to install or any process.

Thanks in advance

3. Noah Brisson

I have an external hard drive that was having this problem as well. The problem I had was the USB ports did not have enough power to run the drive. I fixed mine by getting an aftermarket cable with two usb connectors (It is admittedly quite difficult to find) and plugging them both in.

4. Saurav Azad

may be due to your usb ports have rusted or may be less compatible to the hdd you are using !!! are there may be a problem of file system.

5. GrrGrrr

1. try to re-install the usb drivers
    2. see if u have the same issue with other usb devices- such as keyboard, mouse, smartphone, camera,etc

3. get a usb connection, and then use it for connecting the drive.

PS: how long did u tested the drive in ur sister's PC?

6. Diego Cogo

I really recommend you to download and try one Ubuntu Live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com/download
    By using a different OS you can make sure it's not a hardware issue but a software related problem (maybe drivers or malware, etc.)

7. sabaris krishna

sometimes it happens becaz of , if u didn't remove as safely

8. Erlis Dhima

The problem is with the communication device! Your device gets connected, and disconnected frequently! (Of course if this happens with UBS Sticks and other devices..)
    What you have to do, is uninstall and reinstall the usb drivers (Go to start, and in the search bar type: device manager... After opening it, disable and uninstall all the usb ports.)
    After doing this, restart, and reinstall this drivers (they might automatically start to reinstall.. You have to wait some time in this case..)
    When the process is finished, restart again! Install a driver update software (Like Paretologic Pc Health advisor, or Advanced SystemCare 5)
    If any driver to download, download them and install them.. Restart!
    Now do a complete system scan & repair for temp files, and registry bugs! (Using one of the above software I mentioned)
    I think after this the problem will not be there anymore!
    If still doesn't work, try one of what the other said!
    If still don't work, you should consider formatting your computer, since other problems might be on it, that you will see in later times...
    Hope it helps! ^^

One reason might be improper functioning of drivers installed in your PC for your external HDD.Try installing updated drivers.

see if this microsoft solution can help you
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

you can try this
    go to device manager while your external hard drive is plugged look for its driver, right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete driver).
    reboot and let windows to detect and reinstall a new driver,;

11. Nicky Angel

Your disk is dead dude

• Osama Javaid

no way! read my complete question

Try a different physical connector, seems more like a fitting issue. :)

13. Ahmed Khalil

If you do not have any problem in phisical USB connection like internal wiring loss(check use another USB stick- if work ok you can eleminate this point).

Check you do not have viruse in you PC.

another thing you do not say what is the operating system of your sister PC

• Osama Javaid

same as mine

• Ahmed Khalil

This mean it is not a compatability issue with the operating system, and only thing i can expect is that the system install wrong or incomplete driver for this hard disk which required you to re-install the driver of USB

Sounds more like a physical connector issue than anything else. Does the connector fit loosely in the ports on your machine? If it isn't snug, the electrical connection itself may be causing your problems, esp in light of it working correctly on the laptop.

15. Dalsan

Sounds like there if more than an operating system error if you upgraded to Windows 7 because of this issue and the hard drive works fine on another computer. Try checking the cables connecting to the USB inputs inside your computer. It may be caused by loose or improper connections.