Is 5GB bandwidth per month enough for my browsing habits?

cheyenne brighton October 5, 2012

I don’t know how much bandwidth I need, and dont want to limit myself for 2 years with a contract. I want to be able to watch a movie, chat, browse and watch YouTube everyday. How much bandwidth do I need?

1. Alex Perkins

I live in a household that watches videos on Youtube and also general browsing too. We have to have an unlimited allowance. So i would advise more than 5GB definitely.

2. Drew Butler

two suggestions. 1. If you have internet currently use a usage tracking program for a week and then multiply that by four. 2. Check the fine print in your contract for a "trial-period" or time frame in which you can cancel before being stuck in the contract, companies have different policies with this, some just a time frame like 30 days and some also include a usage limit which means if you use over "x" amount of data you cannot opt out of the contract. Hope this helps :)

3. GrrGrrr

5Gb is way too less according to ur needs.

I would suggest getting at least a 30Gb connection, or even batter a 50Gb.

And if u have time, please install NetWorx is a simple and free, yet powerful tool that helps you objectively evaluate your bandwidth situation. Monitor ur usage for a month, then decide
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

4. James Maciel

not even close to enough. If you want to watch movies and youtube in HD you will probably use that in one day.

5. Félix S. De Jesús

For 5GB Internet Capacity is most for phones, because the phones don't consume a lot of data, like the computers. And if you pass the limit, it's more costly.
    I recommend you, to get internet cable or FIOS, A.S.A.P. to prevent this scenarios about price and data limit.

6. Ahmed Khalil

as per our requirements it is one word NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    what you need is unlimited connection

7. Clifford Wilbert

I have an answer for Cheyenne Brighton concerning the 5Gb limit per month data usage. Based on what she says she wants to do,that simply won't be enough and she will always go over the 5Gb monthly limit (watching movies,Youtube,etc...very expensive!!). The average movie can be about 600-700 Mb in size,not to mention the other things she may do...!!
    Hope you get this answer before you commit to that agreement!!!!

You have opened the "my opinion is best" box. What do you need? start low and if needed trade up. Its a bit like how many sheets of toilet paper do I need, think it through!

9. Edwin Williams

I don't think 5GB would be enough for one month. Since you frequent youtube and watch online movies everyday, you might hit and exceed the 5GB limit.

10. Olav Mägi

5GB is okay, even with 40 MB it can be all done without hassel. My ecperience.

11. Jaydeep Chavda

Its depend upon which kind of person are you ? If you like to surf Youtube or any other video site everyday then probably 5 GB Bandwidth is not for you. You need at least 15 GB for that. 5 GB bandwidth is enough for browsing , chatting not for Movies and Video.
    According to your specification i think you should shift to Unlimited plan over limited plan.

12. Dimal Chandrasiri

it would cost your around 40GB - 50GB at my guess. I too watch lot of youtube videos and one music video might cost you 50Mb to 60MB... 10 vids and you've lost 600MB.. so think... you'll have nothing to use after few hours ( or days depending on your connection speed )

13. 1hegame

... and that is enough for watching YouTube in 360p.

14. 1hegame

The straight answer is No! That's really very less. And "never ever" stuck yourself with a huge 2 year contract. Monthly plan is always better. Since you want to watch YouTube everyday. That requires you should use Unlimited data plan and that also no less than of 512KB/s. PS 512 KB/s plan will give you speed near 62 KB/s

15. Vishal Mishra

It is enough if you just use net for mail, news and videos (low quality,i.e 240p). If you browse web for something more like blogging or watching movies, then you should increase the bandwidth.

Not enough for watching videos or movies, that'd probably last a week. Definitely enough for Facebook, checking Emails, browsing, etc.

17. ayush padia

for me
    its more than enough

18. Amit Sinha

Watching movie and video chatting consumes high network resources so you need unlimited plan because nowadays movies online are available in full HD and consumes more network resources.

With your usage, you will be consuming approximately 1GB per day for probably give and take 30GB a month. I used to have similar usage pattern and my monthly usage used to vary anything between 30GB to 55GB per month.

20. Aditya Roy

5gb is good enough to check mail, facebook and youtube but in your case it won't be enough. If you plan to watch movies online, you must consider getting an unlimited usage plan.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah I tried out 5 GB for 1 month, then realized I would blow through it in a week and got an unlimited connection!

21. Usman Mubashir

considering your use, 5Gb won't last a week. And if you watch movies, it'll be over in a day or maximum 2 days. lets just say you brows 10 songs on youtube a day and watch 3 movies a week, that should add upto...................................45Gigs!
    I estimated at HD songs @ 100Mb/song and reasonable quality movie @ 5Gigs/week. I used up 50 Gigs in 4 days. So if you want to limit your use, I'd suggest you use a different strategy, like limit the hours you spend online.

22. Tim Brookes

Cheyenne,

(Assuming this is for a home Internet connection):

Personally I really don't think 5GB of data is enough for an entire month, even if your off-peak usage is unmetered. I would recommend something like 25GB at least, because it's probably cheaper to pay for five times the amount of data than it is to buy data by the GB when your quota runs out. If you exceed 5GB, you will undoubtedly have your connection throttled. This basically means your service provider will limit your speed to something like 256Kbps, which is really quite slow. I had this happen to me recently for burning through 50GB of on-peak data in two weeks (I thought I had 120GB) and the throttled speed isn't enough to even watch simple 360p YouTube videos. I sweet talked my ISP into resetting the cap, but most providers will charge you a few dollars per GB - some even charge you automatically when you go over, leaving you with a large bill.

Video consumes a lot of bandwidth, especially HD content. Assuming you like watching movies and YouTube in HD (who doesn't?) then I'd recommend 25GB and over. If you can afford it, go higher. If you download things via BitTorrent try setting up a scheduler to download during off peak hours, or get a bigger cap. Last of all if you can, try not to opt for a 2 year contract despite all the free routers and discounts they'll throw at you. If you get a rolling 30-day contract, you can easily switch provider if you find the plan you opt for to be too restricting.

Good luck!

Tim

• Drew Butler

^good suggestions imho