Why is my 500GB Seagate hard disk not working and what can I do?
Question by sanket barapatre /

I have a Seagate 500GB hard disk but it is no longer recognized by my PC. It  shows “raw format” and data of 0 bytes but it has 250GB of data on it. What can I do?

• Adrian

This is my yahoo email: adysor_dragut@yahoo.com

• kamalakar

When plugging in my Seagate 40G external USB drive to my MacBook it suddenly started asking me to format the drive. I tried to go into my Windows XP side (I have Parallels software), and it I get similar results. I went to the device manager it has a big question mark. I tried to update the drivers but I can get Seagate’s Drive Tool to successfully load.
      I Have important data in the external drive.please help me

• Adrian

Hy guys,all of you that have problems with seagate hdd’s you can contact me and i’ll try to help you with your problem, please mention on email title About Seagate Hdd or you can directly add me to your yahoo messenger! Hope i can help lot’s of you!

• Nizam

I have a Seagate Barracuda 500GB. I’ve used it almost 4 months. at present hard disk can not be read by a computer. There is sound in the hard disk when the system started to read it. how can I save and copy files in the hard disk.

• akash

I am facing the same problem. If your problem is solved then plz do tell me.
    thank you

• gisha

My 500gb external hard disk is showing error “an I/O device error”
    Pl error

• rpmeena

sir my seagate external hard disk 500 GB s/no. 2GH5AKND didn”t show on my computer …. please help me

Is your seagate external hard drive listed in device manager?
      if there is yellow sign then right click on it and choose uninstall, reboot and replug seagate hard drive.

) Right-click on “My Computer” then Click on “Manage”
      2) Double-click “Disk Management” You will probably see seagete Disk
      3) Right-click in the left portion of that drive box Seagate Disk
      4) Click “Initialize” and “OK” in the next dialog box. Wait few seconds and it should now say “Online” in the box.
      5) If there is no assigned drive letter, right click on the big space of your Seagate hard drive then choose Assign drive letter or Change Driver Letter and Path

• VicSean

I have tried your solution but my seagate 500Gb hard disk isn’t showing even in that list. The light is on but the computer is not picking on it, anything at all. Please help, need to recover my files..

• R.satheesh

I have a Seagate 500GB hard disk recognized bios but it is not recognized by my computer

• Indronil Mondal

just use a live cd to browse it if then also it cant be read then format it
    you can get live cd from http://www.ubuntu.com

Your best bet is to bring it to someone who has experience recovering from these kinds of situations.  If you want to DIY, your technical abilities are critical.  So, do you have experience with electronic hardware?  Can you tell if the drive itself is spinning up?  In other words, can you feel the drive vibrate slightly when you turn on the computer while you are touching the top of the drive casing?  Do you hear any unusual noises coming from the drive or is it unusually quiet?  Can you hear the drive actuator seeking across the drive?  It should do this when you first power it up and it is normally loud enough to hear it happening (as long as the room is quiet enough).

In the PC BIOS, does the system detect the hard drive there?  Is it reporting the proper drive size?  Is it reporting the correct device identifier?  Your drive should start with ‘ST3500′ if it is an internal desktop drive or ‘ST2500′ if it is an internal notebook drive (ST = Seagate Technologies, 3/2 = 3.5″/2.5″ drive, 500 = storage capacity).  There will be additional information after that which we are not currently concerned with.  If this information is incorrect in your BIOS, you probably will not be able to deal with the situation yourself and will require the services of a data recovery specialist.

If everything is okay to this point, you will need to use your choice of LiveCD or recovery disc to boot your computer and ensure that you DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE HARD DRIVE!  Your best bet would be to have another hard drive available that has at least as much free space on it as the drive you are attempting to recover.

If you get to this point and want to try to continue, let me know and I will guide you through the rest of the procedure which will be quite lengthy (as if it wasn’t already to this point :p).

Hi sir, your help seems to be the solution I need :)

Here’s my situation. I restarted my PC one day just to found out that the PC kept on rebooting every time the Windows was loaded halfway. On a side note, there were no figures running or disk check like the ones I had in my old PC. The brand and logo kept on popping up before I get to the screen asking me to run Windows normally or reboot in save mode, etc.

Up to this point, I was convinced that my motherboard is not the problem as the BIOS was running okay (the above event happened some time ago and the technician told me its the motherboard issue so my first suspect was the motherboard got busted). I figured it might be the Windows itself got corrupted. So I attached this hdd to another PC hoping I can recover my files before I reinstall windows.

To my surprise, I could only view my D drive files on the hdd. The C drive was shown in My Computer (the new PC) but I wasnt able to access it. The situation was the same, RAW format, 0 bytes, etc. Am I right to say that my C drive is busted? (funny, I thought the D drive would go busted along with it).

Can you help me with this issue sir if I were to DIY?

• Tim Brookes

It sounds like a case of hard drive failure to me, especially as your computer is detecting the fact that your hard drive is present but unable to read any data on it.

You could consider paying a company to recover the data for you, though this kind of service is not cheap and will probably cost you at least the price of a couple of new hard drives.

You could also try a quick format then run file recovery software, but don’t write ANYTHING to the drive or you might destroy the data you’re trying to recover. Perhaps wait for a few more answers on here before doing anything too drastic though…

is it external or internal hard drive?

could you perform this: formatting will erase files on hard drive.
    Open the command prompt (Click Start -> Run -> type cmd.exe and press Enter)

Type in the following:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk
    (enter the number that corresponds to your USB drive)
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary
    6. select partition 1
    7. active
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. exit