Can I use a 49-key musical USB keyboard with my laptop in Linux?
Question by Luis Alves-Pereira /

Can I plug a 49 key USB music keyboard to my laptop (running Linux) to compose music with AudioSauna? Will I need any extra tools or software to get this working?

Any tips would be great, thanks.

• Patrick Jackson

Check the company’s website, especially if it supports Linux.

• Erlis Dhima

It’s probably like windows drivers.. You have to download the drivers for the specified windows model! It’s the same with your software.. Check your hardware manufacturer website for a driver under linux! Of course, as Bruce said, if it needs a unique driver! If not, it will work fine on linux too! Just install the software, and plug in your hardware!

• Harish Jonnalagadda

What is the make and model of the controller? Usually for Linux, the drivers combined with a DAW should be fine.

I haven’t one yet. I had my eye on something like the Korg Nano series sometime ago before coming across free software like AudioSauna and later Ardour. I can see that a keyboard will enhance the music making experience greatly now that i have found the software. I understand from all your replies that it’s essential to check driver and system compatibility before commiting to a particular keyboard. This space and you guy’s answers exceeded my expectations and helped alot, so thank you all. I am in the early stages of teaching myself music making so if there are good shouts from anyone as to where can I find (dummie type) tutorials to learn the basics of DAW’s, I would very much like to hear from you. Thank you all.

• Pwince Khan

yes if you have drivers installed

• Ahmed Khalil

yes you can just if the driver is avalaible

• Aniket Singh

The Q49 is a 49-note keyboard controller that works with virtually all music software and MIDI hardware devices. The compact controller features USB-MIDI and traditional MIDI jacks for easy connection to Mac, PC and MIDI hardware.

The Q49 provides keyboard players with a full compliment of controls including pitch and modulation wheels, octave up and down buttons, an assignable data slider, and the ability to send program changes from the keys.

The Q49 comes with a copy of Ableton Live Lite, Alesis Edition software, for performing, recording, and sequencing music right out of the box. The Q49 is also the perfect choice for controlling hardware MIDI devices. Its compact size and portability make it ideal for fitting into existing rigs and then hitting the road. Place it a tier above an existing workstation keyboard and utilize Q49’s streamlined layout to maximize your sound and performance options. You can even send Program Changes from the Q49’s keys to change programs, patches, and more

I had only a brief look and on recall of the info I still remember when I last surveyed the market this does stand up like a good choice at all levels; price, functinality, the software offer sounds really good. Thanks for the tip.

Check with they keyboard manufacturer to see if the keyboard requires any kind of special drivers to work. If it requries some kind of unique drivers under Windows (which it probably does), it will also require drivers for Linux. The manufacturer may be able to provide drivers for you (unlikely) or there may be generic drivers for Linux that may work with it. Without knowing the manufacturer and model number of the keyboard we can only guess.

• Douglas Mutay

I don’t think there is a driver for linux. I am using the same but in Windows.