Where is the 3rd generation Intel i3 CPU on these desktops?

fenekus fen October 21, 2012

I am looking for the third generation Intel i3 processor in a computer on this Intel website but I can’t see it. Can you tell me why are they missing?

1. Dino Pearsons

There are 3rd generation i3 CPUs, actually:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i3-processor.html

But so far, they are mostly used in ultrabooks, not desktops.

• fenekus fen

Why not desktops?

• Kannon Y

They're also available on the desktop, from most major internet retailers.

The hardest to find third generation Ivy Bridge CPUs are the special, low-drain versions, such as the Core i3-3220T series. You can tell these apart from regular Ivy Bridge CPUs by the "T" or "S" at the end of their naming designation.

Unfortunately, it appears that these special low-drain CPUs are merely underclocked versions of the primary production version and Intel is charging more for this. You can actually just use a normal version and underclock it in your motherboard's BIOS.

Also, I don't suggest buying Ivy Bridge CPUs at the moment, as it appears to have a production flaw (laptop Ivy Bridge does not suffer from this) which may cause a shortened life expectancy. Intel actually got caught lying about the problem and it suggests serious problems over at Intel.

2. Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah i3 the third gen isn't out, as of now.

3. Ahmed Khalil

i think only 5i and 7i are avaliable in 3rd generation of intel processors

4. SAURAV AZAD

there are only i5 and i7 version of third generation ...

5. Alex Perkins

I don't think there is any 3rd Gen I3's yet, only I5's and I7's.

6. Dimal Chandrasiri

in the 3rd generation there are only i5s and i7s. only first gen and 2nd gen had i3s. so you better look for a i5 i guess. on the other hand, i5 is more powerful than i3 so you might get lot of work done.

7. Jan Fritsch

There is only i5 and i7 listed under 3rd generation processors so I suppose there simply isn't a system with a 3rd generation i3 in the shop right now.