Can we see 3D movies on our laptop’s LCD?

rajesh November 16, 2011

Can we see 3D movies on a normal LCD screen of or laptop using third party software? And what kind of glasses are required for that?

1. Vipes

i was wondering if my laptop could really play 3d movies its a
    ASUS G75v
    Processor-Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM Processor
    Operating System-Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    Chipset-Intel® HM77 Chipset
    Display-17.3" HD with EWV (1366 x 768) / FHD 3D LED Backlight
    Graphic-NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

i got some glasses and dont seem to work is there a way to test them

2. Hafiz

Can I turn My acer aspire 4755G into 3D ????

3. diva_gloria

Is it possible to play 3d movie on Sony Vaio VPCCW21FX? The movie has Quality: 3D 1080p
    Resolution: 1920*1038.

4. diva_gloria

Would I be able to play 3d movie on my Sony Vaio, Sony Vaio VPCCW21FX to be more exact?? The movie has Quality: 3D 1080p and
    Resolution: 1920*1038. Thanx in advance for anyone who answers this! =)

• Tim Brookes

No, I'm afraid you will not. To display 3D content properly you need a 3D monitor or television. Standard laptop displays are incapable of displaying stereoscopic 3D.

5. Zee

I have ThinkPad W510. is it possible to watch 3Dmovies on laptop with/without glasses?
    Is there a Shield/Screen available, to use the power of laptop and webcam to display image in 3D without glasses?

• Oron

No, to view 3D you need to have either special glasses (coloured, polarised or with LCD shutters) or a special screen. There's no filter or the like that you can place onto the screen.

• Zee

as per my understanding, W510 has 3d card, but its screen is not 3d ready.
        If i dont have 3D screen, and only have 3d glasses (say polarised or with LCD shutters), i will be able to see 3D?
        3D glasses can not work without special screen, no?

• Oron

"3D" in a graphics card is not directly related to stereoscopic display/vision (which is what you are looking for). In graphics cards, the term means the card has built in capabilities to speed up "Z axis" in games.
          Regarding glasses/screen combination, it's as follows:
          - Coloured glasses: work with any (colour) screen.
          - Shuttered glasses: any screen, but additional software required.
          Polarised glasses: special screen or projector required

6. Bing Thom

If you are a movie fanatic, then you already know that there is nothing more thrilling than watching your favorite movies on 3D. The best thing is, you can enjoy the experience of 3D right on your computer; it is really not that hard. You just need to make a few minor adjustments, and you will enjoy movies in Blue-ray and high definition. All major display manufacturers have 3D on the top of their list of agendas. 3D has become a necessity in the gaming world; it is one of the must have features in gaming consoles. Play station and X-box are the leading lights in this regard. However, adopting 3D has proven to be an uphill task for most people bearing in mind that it costs quite a tidy sum to get a 3D television; and when you can afford it, you are still limited on what you can watch. For this reason, the computer remains the only place one can go to get 3D titles. It offers you the best money value, and you get to enjoy a large variety of videos.[url=]more....[url]

7. tmen

I come across a website while browsing about watching 3D in your computer since this topic interests me and according to the site I've found ( It is very possible to watch 3D movies on your computer nowadays but you must check if your laptop's lcd supports 3D. You must also have a 3D vision kit and a 3D graphic card installed in your computer.

8. Janto

i have a question . I have an ASUS HD VH222H 21 inch monitor..I have one of those polarized glasses..Can you watch 3d movies with it on my monitor..with powerdvd11?

Best to look manufacturer website and see compatibility with 3D videos

• Susendeep Dutta

If your monitor itself is not 3D one then you can't watch 3D content on it.

• Janto

ow..thanx..I think its not..its just an lcd monitor..i Though it could cuz when i switch the 3d option one...the image changes ..but thanks anyway

• Janto

i think it cant cuz its jut a normal monitor...i though it could cuz when i switch the 3d option on the image changes...but thanks anyway

9. Sunita

can i watch 3d movie in my acer e-machines with dual core, 1GB ram and intel hd graphics and LCD monitor.. Give me a solution plzzzz

• Susendeep Dutta

If your monitor is 3D one then you can watch 3d content.To check whether your monitor is 3D or not refer to the manufacturer's site of monitor.

• Chodu

Chutey lowdey jab hum thetr may jate hay to 2d screen may 3d print kee sath 3d chasmey ke sath how can we get 3d experiance..

• Sandeep Mehrotra

Yes, You can watch any 3D movie on your HD Lcd or Laptop with 3D glasses (Red and Cyan), you dont require any 3D compatible monitor. How????..... Download software directly or through torrent the "CYBERLINK POWER DVD 12 ultra" or "WINDVD11". load it into your hard disk and play any 3D content in 3D mode , wear the glasses and enjoy. The glasses are too expensive from Rs 6000-11500, but i have an idea to purchase it at lowest cost as Rs 190, go to and search for books with 3-D glasses, purchase any lowest cost book. The book will be delivered to your address, now you have your glasses to enjoy the movie.I have a lot of 3D movies and enjoy everyday on my ordinary LCD monitor.

• sai

wat type of 3d glasses should be used. is it red and cyan.

10. Anil

can i watch 3D movies with my laptop- HP Dv6-6155tx with 4GB ram & radeon 6490m 1 GB graphic,LED monitor(screen)

• Susendeep Dutta

No,since your laptop's screen isn't 3D one.

11. Anil

can i watch 3D movies with my laptop- HP dv66155tx,with 4GB ram & radeon6490m 1 GB DDR5 graphic,LED monitor(screen)

12. Nitesh Johari

yes u can watch 3D Movies on non 3D Laptop using stereoscopic software and RED and CYAN 3D glasses which u can get easily and if u find it hard to get in the market u can buy from ebay 

Thats. Not. 3D. 

13. Alley

my laptop model is SONY VAIO VPCSB11FX .. can i see 3d videos of any type on my laptop?? 

No, it doesnt have a 3D screen. 

14. Hwehw

NO. You cant

15. haz_darkknight07

i have a Toshiba Satellite 15'' notebook. It has a intel core i5, 6g ram and Nvidia Geforce GT 525M with Cuda. there is an icon on the start menu which says 'enable 3d vision'. if i want ot watch 3d movies, do i need 3d glasses only and what type of 3d glasses are required. also by clicking that icon, will my notebook's screen automatically display 3d vision( which i can see with the 3d glasses) or do i need to connect to a tv with 3d in it. THANX FOR YOUR TIME

No, your laptop screen does not have the capability to display 3D, period. 

The only way you can view 3D using this laptop is to connect it via an HDMI cable to a suitable 3DTV (which will have specific matching 3d glasses), or to purchase a specific 3d monitor from various manufacturers (some of which come with suitable glasses, and some of which are designed to work with stock nvida 3d vision glasses, which cost about $200 each).

Once you have connected a suitable display device, the activate 3dvision link will indeed do as described. Games will automatically display using 3d then, but movies are a different story depending on the software used. 

16. Joshuanitin

I have a dell xps 15 l502x .. and there is 3d vision installed.. can i watch 3d movies with polarised 3d glasses?.. on my laptop screen.. i am not asking with a 3d tv or anythng.. jus the laptop screen.. is it possible?..

Yes, you can watch 3D on the XPS. 
      However, NVIDIA 3D Vision requires the proprietary polarized glasses from NVIDIA. 

NO you cannot watch 3d on this laptop, and nvidia 3d vision glasses are ACTIVE, not passive. Regardless, neither active nor passive glasses would work with the XPS display. 

Sorry, James is correct.

I made this assumption since XPS comes pre-installed with 3D Vision. After reading up on the technical specifications:

The XPS does support 3D Vision but requires a compatible external display. The build-in LCD does not offer 3D.

• Sadiq Jahu

i have dell inspiron 1521 and i dont have 3d graphics of my friend gave me red and blue 3d glassed with some 3d converted movie files its working on my laptop i enjoyed the movie and i used stereoscopic player to watch it....really i donno how to convert 2d to 3d movie...

17. Dinabualteng

can i watch 3D movies with my laptop- Dell Inspiron N5110, 1 GB graphic,LED monitor(screen)

Here, I wrote this article last week and it was published just now:

Short answer: No.

19. milind sejwal

how can i watch 3D movies on my xps l502x laptop ........

will u pleZzz tell me what should i do ??? :''(

Simply connect your laptop to a 3D-enabled TV and effortlessly project your favorite Blu-ray5 3D movies and 3D photo slideshows for a real-life theater experience. Then, bring your 3D-enabled games6 to life.

As long it is a 3D supported Monitor/TV with a hdmi 1.4 cable, and have nvidia 3D vision installed + 3D movie. It should be enough

Please don't copy and paste verbatim without clearly indicating your text is a quite even if you do post the original site. 

I cant change the hardware specifications of XPS 15, the answer will be that there is a possibility to use a 3d video converter to convert 2D to 3D and then to use a 3D video player to watch the movie with Anaglyph 3D Glasses. It may not be Twilight Zone but can be Close Encounters of the Third Kind CE3K.

I asked you not to copy and paste other websites content onto here, thats all. I didnt ask you to change the specs of anything. Please, do NOT copy content from elsewhere on the internet. Simple.

• Mr Yash_tanwar

kya pata yarrrrrrrrrrr varna me hi use kr leta tuje pata chal jaye to muje is num per phone kr dena 07737594336 okkkk

3D != 3D … or in other words, it depends which type of 3D you want to watch

For example the very basic 3D anaglyph mode with the red-blue [or red-green] glasses work on all displays. For content using polarization or shutter glasses you obviously need a compatible monitor/display.

Hello, you can start by reading the content of the following link:

There have been several questions similar to yours.  To be able to watch 3D the way it is supposed to be seen, your graphics card needs to support 3D and also your monitor has to be 3D compatible.  Can you post the brand and model of your system?  I am sure if you read the answer to the previous postings, you will find your answer.