Why is there only 35GB free on my 50GB hard drive?

sridhar b March 30, 2012

I am using Windows 7 and I am not able to see the data on my hard drive on my computer. The D drive has an allocated space of 50GB out of which 35 Gb is free which means 15 GB is utilised but I am not able to see any data. I don’t know what the actual cause is but I’m worried it might be a virus or hard disk damage.

Please help!

Hello, visit and download the following free program:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Once program is downloaded and installed, run it and see what it shows for your drive.  It should show you what files are occupying the space.  Then it is up to you to decide if you need those files or not.  If you did not get those files yourself, you might as well just reformat the drive.

2. jedimasterchris

Can't you just browse the drive right clicking and selecting properties on folders such as Windows and Program files? That way you should be able to see what space is being taken up and where.

Make sure you can view hidden files and folders. I ha a customised version of 7 running and to change this option in windows explorer I click tools > folder options > view tab > select show hidden files etc.

Other than that I'm not sure your question is clear enough about what you can and can't do on your machine. It might just be a lack of experience but consider more of an explanation to get a better answer. Hope that helps.

There may be data stored there and you can't see it because of the options set for Windows Explorer.  In Windows Explorer, click on Organize -> Folder and Search Options.  Select the View tab.  Under Files and Folders, select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives.  Check drive D again to see if there is anything there now.  If not, follow the above instructions again and clear the checkmark for 'Hide protected operating system files' and close the dialog box again.  Recheck the D drive for any contents.  If nothing is showing up yet, you can right-click on your D drive select Properties from the context menu, choose the Tools tab and click on the 'Check now...' button.  If the drive is not currently in use, it should start running the drive consistency check.  It may turn up bad sectors or errors in the drives structures which can cause this problem.

4. Indronil Mondal

1.Just boot your computer with a live cd ,
    2.Connect the hard drive,
    3.Open the partition manager,
    4.browse to your hard drive,
    5.and check for what is wrong with it..
    6.if some portion is damaged delete the partition table ,
    7.make a new empty partition or format the entire drive..
    If this process didn't help you then
    i think windows default format tool cant solve the problem either

perhaps another partition is there and you do not see it? assign a drive letter to the drive for win 7 to recognize the unused partition, to do this right clikc my computer select "manage" then bottom left is "disk management" , assign a drive letter and reboot pc.

6. gpvprasad

Please check using compmgmt.msc and see the hard disk exact space

7. Osama

If you don't have any data on D drive, just format it and observe if the utilized space reappears or not? If it reappears then it must be due to a virus.