Is 24/7 Techies a legitimate company?

Judith Stringer August 22, 2011

My grandson has let 24/7 Techies check his computer and replace the antivirus program that came with the computer with theirs. Are they legit?

1. Neil Jenkins

I have been approached by a company claiming to be 247 Techie who claimed they could resolve my computer problems. After paying them £80.95 they carried out a defrag and now I can`t get hold of them. The number they gave me in the UK, claiming to be based in Reading, is dead and after speaking to 247 Techie in California it turns out that these are not related in any way and that they had seen this many times before. I have been approached several times like this and have resisted but as I had problems that needed to be resolved I took a chance. They are always Indians and always claim to be 247 Techie or the like. Beware if any of these guys approach you and stay clear ! Has anybody else had the same experience ?

2. bclark

im on the same page as art. they failed to remove a virus from my computer. they told me i had to take my computer in to get a new hard drive. i took it in and it was only a bad virus that the computer repair shop happily took care of for significantly less money than 24 7 techies. i called to get my money back and they were completely rude. they told me they dont have a manager and id have to email their support center. i would not reccomend them to anyone.

3. arthurmattei

I used them and they did not only fail to solve the problem,  they took my money through the credit card I gave them over the phone.   When I asked to speak with a supervisor they said no one was available but would call me back.  No one ever called me,  even after a second call.   I am still trying to get my money back through their parent company and I will keep you posted.   Art

Thank you for the heads-up, Arthur!

• sullivanp7

I had a similar problem getting a refund. I've filed a dispute with PayPal who processed the payment and they are initiating a formal investigation. They also told me to file a complaint with IC3.gov (Internet Crime Complaint Center). I'd suggest anyone who's had issues getting a refund also file a complaint. The more people who file complaints the harder our government will come down on them!

Fyi, if you did file a dispute through PayPal DO NOT close the dispute until they've refunded your money. They tried mulitple times to persuade me to close the case saying they can't refund me while the case is open. This isn't true. If you do close the case, you lose all rights to re-open it and they won't ever refund you!

4. Jane

I use them and have found them invaluable as a self employed person - yes, the 24/7 aspect and the fact that most of the problems I have are related of course to Microsoft issues.  This year, they have a fee of $100 - it's a special, not sure if it's for just renewing or for new customers as well.   Last year I paid $149 for the year.  I have called them about 6 times and my problem was resolved each time.  One of the times it did take many hours.  They hang in there until your issue is resolved. 

thanks for the feedback. It's good to know they are legit.
    That being said you also have MakeUseOf Answers, where you can ask all your technical questions and get help for free :)
    Maybe in a year or two we'll add a free hotline :)

normally you should run only one antivirus, so first you have to uninstal the first antivirus reboot and reinstal another one.

now if you can boot in safe mode and uninstal all security soft and reboot again, then use Glary utilities free version to clean pc (http://www.glaryutilities.com/). Reboot and reinstall your security tool.

7. Lionel Rich

I know this service, they provide an outstanding experience. Worth the money. 

8. Gerryromer

I checked their site and their Facebook page, they have got some phenomenal testimonials. They charge 139.95 this includes unlimited 24x7 tech support . I think it is reasonable because I not tech savvy. they come with a money back guarantee.

9. Bummble B

I agree with Hitler 05, check the webpage again, they're supporting for all  kind of a technical related issues.... it's a unlimited tech support for next one year.... click on Microsoft gold certified logo it's redirect to Microsoft page...

10. Hitler 05

24/7 techies is supporting for all kind of technical related issues on the computer to next 12 months.... so check the web page and update your self 

11. Sonny Bass

I agree with Jeffery, that it is a ridiculous amount of money to pay to run a scan and change an antivirus. I also agree with Fidelis that any antivirus should be uninstalled using RevoUninstall.

Hello, just my 2 cents...to uninstall the antivirus it is much better to use revo uninstaller or the uninstaller provided by the antivirus.  Sometimes, the antiviruses have specialized tools to uninstall them.  The reason for saying this is that sometimes the windows uninstaller leaves a few traces of the uninstall program and in the case of antiviruses that can cause problems with your new antivirus.  Here is a link for revo uninstaller:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Make sure to pick the freeware version....unless you want to buy the program

good point. Revo uninstaller is an excellent tool.

Several people have said these people infected their computers. To be honest, this sounds really suspect. 

Even if they are credible, you don't need a dedicated support team to swap anti-viruses. I could do it free of charge via remote desktop. I would not spend upwards of $100 to simply replace an anti-virus and check for malware, that's ridiculous. 

You can do it yourself (or message me):

1.) To remove the default anti-virus, go to start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Remove the application

2.) Once you've uninstalled it, replace that anti-virus with a credible anti-virus. Once you've installed an anti-virus from the list, configure it to your liking and keep it up-to-date.

3.) Perform a scan using Malwarebytes. Install it, update it and run a "full scan". Remove any infections.

I second Jeffery. Changing the antivirus program is really easy and you should definitely do this yourself.
      As pointed above, you first need to uninstall your current antivirus. This can be done from Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs. Just select the program and click Uninstall button. Once that's done, download one of the free antivirus apps from here, http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software

When the download is done double click on the downloaded file to start new installation.
      That's ptretty much it.

200$ is way too much for such simple task.

let us know if you need any further assistance.

Aibek

Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and they have been awarded ISO 20000 certification, All 24/7 Techies remote support sessions are highly secure and encrypted.

you can check ste reputation with mywot, avg link scanner
    http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/avg/