Why did 240GB of space and data disappear from my hard drive?

olumide October 30, 2011

My Western Digital hard drive is 320GB. I had used 240GB space while 80GB space is unused. Now my hard drive has 80GB space, the rest of 320GB is no longer available. How can I recover lost space and my files?

possible because you allocated more place for restore points
    Windows 7
    1
    Right click "Computer" and click "Properties." If this icon isn't displayed on the desktop, find it on the Start menu.
    2
    Click the "System protection" link on the left side of the screen.
    3
    Confirm that the "System Protection" tab is selected, then click the "Configure" button.
    4
    Lower the slider bar next to "Max Usage" to adjust the space allocated for system restore points.
    5
    Click "OK" to save your changes.

also try to defrag disk
    on command prompt type CHKDSK /R

go to tools >folder options > click to show hidden files and select show protected files.click ok.
    If you can see the 240 GB files with this option.
    your hard disk is affectd by a virus, scan it with an updated anti-virus, to remove problem you can format it after backing up your data.

when you scan it with your antivirus, it displays the names of lost files while scanning ?
    Read this question:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/unhide-hidden-files-windows-xp

Hello, the only way to recover lost space is by removing files you do not need/use.  You can use the following program to see what is occupying the space in your drive.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Would it be possible for you to take a screen capture of the Computer/My computer folder showing all the drives?  Also, if you decide to try the program above, Would it be possible for you to post a screen capture showing the results?  What is your operating system?  When did you notice that the rest of the drive is not accessible? What kind of files do you have stored on the remainder of the harddrive that is not accessible? How many partitions are there on the drive in question?

With regards to recovering files, you can start by using recuva:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you used 240 GB's of 320 then it's mathematically correct to have 80 GB's left. 

If you're interested in seeing what is occupying that space, I suggest installing Glary Utilities, use the Disk Analysis feature. Once you know what type of file is taking up so much space, you can proceed to remove it. If it's program files, remove the applications you no longer use.

Yeh, thats what I read this as: "I used 240gb, leaving 80gb, now I have 80gb left". We must be missing something...