Why does my 1TB hard drive show as a 100GB drive after reinstalling Windows 7?

Anonymous July 13, 2014

Two years ago I bought a HP laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It came witj a 1TB hard drive. Today I finally had to reinstall the operating system. Now my computer says I have a hard drive of only 100 GB. How is this possible?

As Alan said, the most likely explanation is that Windows was installed in a 100GB partition. Check it as per his instructions. If this indeed the case, use a partition manager (e.g. EaseUS Partition Master Free, or Paragon Partition Manager 2014 Free Edition) to expand your partition to the full drive size.

• Larry

Thanks I will do this and let you know the outcome.

• Larry Lillard

Well, I tried it and was able to improve the situation. The partition managers I downloaded are not self explanatory for one who has never used them before. Through a series of trial-and-errors, I was first able to split the unallocated 832 Gb into two equal partitians. Then some how I was able to add one half to the C-drive's 100GB. Next I was able to convert the other unallocated (half) to an E-drive, which turned out to be a logical partition rather than a primary partition. I have since been trying to convert the logical partition with no luck so far, but I now have all of the 1- terabit drive that I can use. I will keep trying but will not won't bore you with the results. Thanks all who helped.

follow Alan suggestion you can also do chkdsk /r
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx
    1) open cmd with administrative rights
    2) type: chkdsk /r and hit enter
    3) Reboot

3. Alan W

Its possible that a partition has been created for Windows leaving the remaining space un-allocated.

Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
    Click on the System and Security link.
    In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools
    In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
    When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

Once there check to see if you have un-allocated space showing, if so allocate a drive letter to it.
    Post back and let us know what Disk Management is telling you.

• Chinmay S

The easiest and the fastest way to go to Disk Management is:

Click on Start Button, search for disk management and press enter.

• Larry

Yes,
      The hard drive has been partitioned into 3 drives C :-92 GB, Tools(E:) 3.96 GB, and Recover (D:) 21.54 GB. Then below it says 813,8 GB unallocated, Thanks all, What do I do next to add the unallocated to C:?

• Bruce E

Since C: is a system drive, Windows can't expand it. But there are many third party tools that can such as EaseUS Partition Manager, Paragon Partition Manager, etc. In order to make this happen, the unallocated space must immediately follow the allocated space for C:. If it doesn't, you will first need to move any intervening partitions out of the way by pushing them all the way to the end of the drive. Since one of these partitions (well, both of them really) are used for system recovery, it MAY break that functionality if they are moved when the system has a button on the keyboard to initiate the process, otherwise you should be fine moving them.