Why is my 1TB drive not working with Sony Bravia although I created a 100GB FAT32 partition?

Donald March 9, 2012

Am aware that Sony Bravia only reads FAT32 formats. I have created a FAT32 partition on my 1TB HDD. It still does not read.

Was informed that only partition of up to 32GB is readable. Is this true?

Would appreciate any help on the matter. Thanks!

1. Peter Rabbit

I have the exact same problem mine is a 750GB Seagate - nightmare anyone know how to get it to work? Mine is FAT32 formatted and TV is KDL40NX723

2. Laís Inagaki

Hey, Donald! Is your problem solved?
    I'm at the same situation, unless the facts:

* my TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-32EX525.

* my HDD is a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent GoFlex, with 3 partitions:
    - 2, in NTFS
    - 1, in FAT32. This one is 263GB (Primary type).

I've formatted them with Easus Partition too.The power suply is the single USB, too.

My 8GB pendrive is recognized perfectly.

Is it the case of reducing the size of the partition?

possible the hard drive is not compatible even after formating, maybe more power is needed.
    also perhaps something should be done like on your TV.
    "Home" -> "System Settings" -> "Recording Set-up" -> "HDD Registration"
    registering HDD may remove files from HDD?

similar question
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/watch-movies-sony-bravia-led-tv-1tb-external-hard-drive/

4. Donald G White

Model is Sony Bravia KDL- 40CX52. It reads the other smaller USB flash drives perfectly.

5. Donald G White

Its a Seagate 1 TB GoFlex. Its powered by a single USB cable. Ive double checked the partitioning and it seems fine. Guess am gonna have to try a make a smaller partition like 30 GB FAT32 (instead of the 100GB one i made) and check if that works. 

Sounds like an idea - or maybe try some smaller USB flash drive you may have lying around.

If you don't mind feel free to post the Model No. of the Bravia. It may help finding some known problems and troubleshooting.

6. Donald G White

Hi Mike

I did the partition through the Easus Partition Master Home Edition client. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier. This way, i was sure that it was FAT32 and not exFAT

Ok, we can rule that one out.

Does your hard drive have it's own power supply, support an external power supply or is it solely bus-powered (via USB)?External drives of that size often come with an Y-USB-cable which signalizes that the power of a single USB port may not be sufficient. If that's the case and your Bravia has two USB ports plug both of them in. You could try using another devices USB port for additional power but I'm not quite sure how or if that will work out.

Is it possible you are using Windows Vista or 7?

When using the built-in formatting options both operating systems will use "exFAT" format for drives larger than 32GB. While exFAT is similar to FAT32 it does require explicit compatibility.

How To Format A Large Hard Drive With Either FAT Or FAT32

* All data from the drive/partition will be deleted when reformatting so backup before doing so