Can I use a 19V 3.5A adapter on my monitor that is rated 19V 2.6A?

Samuel August 24, 2010

The Monitor is indicated 19V 2.6A at the back. I have search for the adapter, but I can not find it!

One time I searched on the internet for same monitor and I got these specifications: 19V 3.42A and 19V 3.5A from the manufacturer. I have managed to find an adapter of 19V 3.5A, so my fear is wouldn’t it blow my monitor?

1. Robert

Yes you can use it safely, you just need to confirm that the connector physically fits, and that the polarity is correct for your application.

The monitor rating is giving the power input requirement, 19 Volts @ 2.6 Amps.
    The power supply can provide up to 19 Volts @ 3.5 Amps, which exceeds the minimum requirement of the monitor.

There's no danger of damage here, because with current (expressed in Amps) the device will only draw as much amperage as it needs. Any excess doesn't get used, it's reserve capacity.

Think of the 12V battery in your car. It's huge, and can supply over 800 AMPS in your average car. How come the little light bulbs in your dome light don't explode when turned on? Because their resistance is high enough that only a small amount of that 800 AMP capacity is allowed through.

Your monitor is much the same way. Its power supply is current limited to draw only 2.6 Amps, and no matter how big the power supply it's connected to, it will only ever draw what it needs to operate.

Just make sure the voltage is correct. If the voltage is too low, it won't power on or could be damaged. If the voltage is too high, it will draw excess current and burn up.

• Oron Joffe

Robert is absolutely right, but the point about the connector cannot be over stated. The connector _must_ be of the same type and polarity (e.g. + on the outside ring, - on the center pin) on both the power supply and the monitor. Reversing the polarity may well damage the monitor.

• Samuel

Oron thanks for the input,I tried with the power supply adapter and the Monitor is working just fine.