Dan

Should I go with a 1.7 GHz i7 Quad Core or with a 2.3 GHz i5 Turbo Boost Dual Core Notebook?

05 Jan 2011
05 Jan 2011 | |

I am contemplating purchasing a notebook with fairly good specifications so that it can be used for quite a long time. I have the following specs in mind:
– 4 GB RAM , DDR3
– Quad core Intel i5/i7
– at least 2.4 GHz processor
– 1 GB Graphics card/ or at least 512 MB would be ok
– 64 bits hardware/OS
– and other standard specifications

I tried to window-shop and enquire and educate on the web. I find that if I want a Quad core with i7 Intel processor the clock speed of the processor is 1.7 GHz (for the notebook). And I understand that there are four 1.7 GHz processors in the computer.

But if I opt for i5 (dual core, as I understand it) the clock speed will be 2.53 GHz. And I understand that there will be two 2.53 GHz processors in the computer.

Now, as I go by the cores, Quad core should definitely be far superior (and much more future-secured, I think). But if I go by the clock speed the dual core has 2.53 GHz – much higher than the 1.7 GHz for the i7 quad core.

So if there was a shootout between these two sets, in terms of the daily computer tasks we do, i.e. web browsing, office, video and audio editing and graphics, games, movies – which would be more powerful?

Between Higher clocking speeds and just duo VS. Lower clocking speed but quad cores – which one will render better performance?

Also I learned that i5 has the Turbo Boost feature, which will push the clocking speed close to 3 GHz when resources are needed. Does that mean that its Turbo Boost will render better performance than the i7 Quad Core when necessary?

I am talking about 4 GB RAM on a Dell notebook/or HP notebook/Lenovo.
Actually the store I went to would order me, according to my specifications, a Dell notebook with 4 GB RAM DDR3, Quad Core i7, 1.7 GHz, 1 GB Graphics card with 64-bits Windows Ultimate installed and sporting 500 GB of Hard disk, from a central store as they did not have it in the store now. It would cost about $ 1,200.

With the future in mind which one should I choose, assuming I can manage the budget one way or the other? Opinions, suggestions, answers are highly appreciated! Thanks in anticipation!