What can I do with a used 1520 watt 27.2 volt power supply?

Paulus Estee September 11, 2012

I have a used PSU (AC 31 ARTESYN) with 27.2 Volt 1520 Watt output. Is there any one here who knows if I can tweak it or use it for other hardware? Any ideas?

1. punjac za laptop

If you could give a little more details on your psu we could give you some useful advice , since we do the repair and we sell the supplies for laptop and computer but not much we can say without more data

https://sites.google.com/site/punjaclaptopa

2. Alex Perkins

You can modify it to be a lab power supply, or use the 12v rail to power 12v devices like a mini fridge. Or just salvage the huge capacitors, wires, inductors, regulators and the like, and make cool (but dangerous) things like a coil gun.

3. Ivan Jestrovic

if you are into electronics you coud make adjustable lab power suply

• Ahmed Khalil

Nice solution man, i is true but i do not think he need this solution

• Paulus Estee

I have 10 units of this device. This tool is used on gsm antenna tower. I just want to explore whether there are other uses that I can take advantage of this tool, but if it is too difficult or too dangerous, the right solution is to sell it in ebay. Bay the way, thank for the answer.

Do you have a full model number of this PSU?

In general you can check the manufacturers website for it's electrical specifications.

Maybe it offers some standard outputs like those used in computers (+3.3V, ±5V, ±12V). In that case you could do some engineering soldering cables to the outputs and creating your own power supply.

If it doesn't fit any specification I would simply try to sell it e.g. on ebay or so.

Getting the parts to modify it for specific usage especially if you have to transform the voltage or something will probably be as expensive as getting an actual PSU for this purpose.

I forgot you definitely want to check the Amps of the power supply and/or it's outputs!

Although the voltage may be correct a too high or too low electrical current could cause problems or damage.

5. Erlis Dhima

Whats the most important is the voltage! So, if you want to use it for something else, you should find a device that needs 27.2 volt energy! If it needs more or less than 27.2, don't use it.. It can harm it!