What’s a good PC software suite to use with my Moto G?

Kyem G June 6, 2014

After sticking to Nokia’s Symbian phone for the last 7 years, I had to move on to a new Moto G – my very first Android phone. In between I’ve got an iPad with me.

Motorola hasn’t come up with a PC suite and I’m tired of trying to find a good one (I didn’t install and test any yet). Nokia and iTunes are too awesome as with Nokia; I could even text through the PC while my phone was connected to the PC via USB or Bluetooth and iTunes can backup even in-app data and so no worry of data loss on reset.

I want a same like them for my Moto G. It’s otherwise too difficult to backup my phone, although contacts are synced with Google but its impossible to download the bunch of apps after going through a reset. Please do suggest after you test it yourself.

1. Kyem G

Ok I found what I was looking for. Although I need to do it manually but still it would work for me. What I wanted was a PC suit that could backup everything including the installed apps as well as call, sms etc data. Sync-droid is a good tool suggested by Rajaa da but it couldnot backup my apps. To backup the apps, I could use the ES file manager where I can backup all apps and save them in a separate folder and then copy that folder to my pc. I maynot revive the in-app data like I can do in with iTunes, but I can atleast save myself with redownloading all apps and updates if I need to go for a reset. So its done now.. Not much happy but would work.

• Susendeep D

Kyem,

You could also try Snappea.

Kindly mark your question as resolved for the comment you think is the best.

Motorola has a decent support page for the Moto G as follows:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/home and select Moto G. They also have a Motorola Device Manager in under Software and Drivers which says You’ll need Motorola Device Manager to use a USB cable to connect your Motorola phone or tablet to your computer. Then you can drag and drop files between your device and computer. For some Android products, you can even use it to update your device’s software.

Also you have Motorola Connect to See your text messages and calls, on your computer’s Chrome browser.

In the same link provided above do see the GET HELP tab and Android Software and Motorola Apps to utilise your Moto G's features and power to the fullest.

For Office Productivity install Microsoft Office mobile from Google Play Store as it is FREE nowadays, otherwise you can consider Kingsoft Office, again Free at Google Playstore. :) I hope this helps.

After you have installed the Motorola Device Manger, use the FREE SyncDroid for PC from http://www.sync-droid.com/download.html . :D I think your issue will be resolved.

Do enable USB debugging for it to work. Read the full website on the guide.

• Oron J

The Motorola Device Manager, does nothing for the Moto G. The only way in which it can be helpful is if you want to download firmware updates via USB rather than over the air.

• Kyem G

@Rajaa da.. I've tried with sync-droid and but unfortunately I didn't get what I wanted. I could backup my phone's call data, sms, photos, media files etc etc but had no option to backup the apps. My main priority is to backup the installed apps like the iTunes cz you know well how our internet speed is and it might be a hectic task to re download all apps from the play store while going for a reset..

@Oron true you are... Motorola Device Manager is good for nothing 36MB of waste it is. Why should I go for update over USB when I can't even back up a single data in PC?

The Moto G is a standard Android phone. There's no "PC software suite" like there was for the Nokia. Instead, in can communicate with the PC (and the internet) in a variety of ways.
    To transfer files, simply plug it in and it will show up like on your PC like a USB drive. This will work for photos, music etc, and also with iTunes/Windows Media player or other media management software.
    To access it from the PC, you can use Airdroid or for full remote control (i.e. actually seeing the phone's screen on your PC), TeamViewer.
    To install software on it, use the Google Play Store. Once you have registered the device, you can buy apps for it (or get free ones) either from the phone or from your PC, by going onto the store on the web.

Since I use Dropbox on my PC, I have it installed on the phone too and that makes it very easy to exchange files (for example, to transfer photos from the phone to the PC), but there are plenty of other ways you can connect Android devices to the PC, it just depends what you want to do, so enjoy your newly found freedom!