How can I spy on my family?

Anonymous March 7, 2014

I am on Macbook Pro with OS X Mavericks 10.9.2. I have a big family and we share the same Wifi. I don’t know their passwords for their computers. They also use Macbook Pro with OS X Mavericks 10.9.2. However I want to spy on them, what the surf on the web or I want to be able access their files wirelessly or remotely. Is there any such way to do so. Please help me.

If you are that worried, you should really have a family meeting about your fears, and talk about the dangers. You don't want to come off as being like a prison warden, but proper education on computer usage and safety is necessary. You may also discuss about using a parental control, either on each of the devices and/or through the router. OpenDNS is a good option for blocking certain content and websites while showing you the activity and how many times blocked websites have been accessed. If you choose to use parental controls on each computer, you can try out K9 Web Protection.

Spying on anyone, even if it is immediate family, as others mentioned is morally wrong and illegal without consent. I agree with not giving the information to allow the action of spying as this site has morals and respect. Ethical hacking is one thing, but this is nothing close to ethical, and in the wrong hands, the information will be used for harming and infringing the rights of others. "For educational purposes" is also a gray area that won't be taken lightly here; there are minor things that will be allowed but nothing to this extreme.

If you wish to monitor things such as network activity, that is one thing. Monitoring specifics as you wish to access borderlines wiretapping.

2. Tinkicker

Anonymous, please address your inquiry to http://www.nsa.gov/ and select the "Creepy Methods of a Stalker You Can Use At Home" article.
    Geesh, this is like, "Can anyone tell me exactly HOW to break into the bank vault at the First National Bank here in my hometown? I can practice between 2 and 3 a.m. any weeknight. Thanks!"

3. Dave P

Please don't spy on your family. I hope no one here assists you in doing it, as it's morally wrong to do so in all but the most exceptional circumstances. Think how you would feel knowing someone was spying on your every move while online.

Dear Anonymous, I have consulted with other editors of the Answers forum on this, and we were unsure whether to publish your question. There may be valid grounds for checking other people's activties on their computers (e.g. supervising children's use of the internet), but they need to know about it. Spying on your spouse without his/her knowledge, on the other hand, is not only illegal (in most countries it would fall into "misuse of computers" laws, i.e. hacking), it is also low. The first thing would be to obtain consent or in the case of your children, acknowledgement. If you have their consent, they may even give you their password, which will make it very easy to find out what they're up to. Without it, you'll need to resort to using spying software, which as I explained, is both illegal and morally dubious.

• Chinmay S

I think you should post articles on hacking. Every other site does so why not MakeUseOf? If every site starts saying that we won't publish these type of articles then how people will gain knowledge on this subject? It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal but atleast people should know how to do it.

• Bruce E

@Chinmay S: If "every other site does so," why should we regurgitate the same information you are claiming already exists?

Despite any claims OP makes as to how he/she wants to use this information, we cannot verify any of it as fact. Most will not even leave their real name. Some may not even use an existing email address. If they are already hiding or attempting to hide or mask who they are, can we really expect them to stay on the legal side of the line? With the way some laws are changing and others are failing to change, what is to stop MakeUseOf from being prosecuted for teaching someone how to hack a system or network if it can be proven that they learned how to do it here?

BTW, if anyone does decide to "help out" OP on this one, your comments will be rejected/removed. This post was put through merely to explain our stance on the issue. Feel free to comment on the policy or visit the MUO debate regarding spying on your kids.