Are 100MB server space enough and what does 1GB transfer mean?

shaurya gupta October 18, 2012

Will 100MB space work for my site with few images and lots of code and text? And there is 1GB transfer in my web hosting plan. What is that?

1. Alex Perkins

Images will be your main issue here as text and code don't usually take up much space at all. The size of a image is its resolution x colour depth.

2. Deekshith Allamaneni

It is enough for most small websites with text and few images.
    1GB bandwidth means that if a webpage is 1mb in size, you can serve 1GB/1MB page views. =>1000 pages can only be viewed. I hope you got my point.

3. Dimal Chandrasiri

first of all, what kind of a website are you going to host in the webserver. if it involves lot of media files, then 100MB would not suit you... 1GB transfer speed means it will allow data transfers of 1GB..

4. Boni Oloff

100mb means the server place to store your web files, and the transfer 1GB means the quota your website accessed.

5. Harshit Jain

100MB size is actually too less for anyone. But still if your website is not going to use that much space, you can go for it.
    As for 1GB transfer, it means the total amount of data that can be transferred by you webhost to your website viewers. It is a called Bandwidth. If you think only a few people will go to your site like to show to some friends, then it enough. But if you want more audience, it is probably too less. Please switch to another free web host like Zymic.

6. Jan Fritsch

Text and code never really is an issue.

For the images it depends on the size and amount. If you want to share actual photographs a decent quality would require 500KB up to 1MB meaning you could only put ~100-200 pictures online.

The "1GB transfer" means your account is allowed to transfer 1GB of data within the time specified (usually per month). Again, it depends on the amount of visitors but like the file space it is borderline for a graphical heavy website.

For example if you want to share a megapixel photo which has 10MB in size it could be downloaded/viewer ~99 times until you hit that 1GB transfer limit.

All in all it doesn't strike me as a hosting worth looking into – I don't have any specific example but there are a lot of free webspace hosters with better conditions.

• salim benhouhou

that's right Jan a good explanation exactly what i was going to say